Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just a Little Meat


Although in my last post I attempted to rid of the expression “the true African experience,” today we went to a place in hopes of obtaining just that. I have explained how diverse this country is, not only through race, but also through socioeconomic statuses, lifestyles, and cultures. There is no one way of doing things in South Africa, which makes this country that much more intriguing to me. Today we went to a braai, which is the South African term that refers to an American barbeque, only better. We have had several braais since we have arrived, whether at UCT, our apartments, or the house of a friend. However this braai was much, much different. We went to a famous braai, called Mzoli's, in the middle of a nearby township. When we all packed into a minibus taxi at about 11::00 this morning, we knew that we would be venturing out to a place that was a bit different than anything we had ever seen. Still, no talk that I had received about culture shock or lifestyle differences could have prepared me for the ride into Mzoli's. As we got closer and closer, we looked out the window to see hundreds upon hundreds of tiny, broken down shacks where the people of the township took residency. Honestly, it was quite depressing to pass by the pathetic little “buildings” that to us, looked like old, abandoned sheds, but to the people of this community, were called home. I was amazed to think about the fact that all that was needed in their lives was packed into such a little place that would barely seem fit for a bathroom in the States, let alone an entire house.
As we continued through the township, I was overwhelmed with mixed feelings of sorrow and embarrassment. Sorrow, being the more obvious of the two emotions, came as I looked at the people walking through the dirt paths from shack to shack, with their rugged bearings. Embarrassment, on the other hand, was a feeling that I found myself explaining to others as I expressed my uncomfortableness with our surroundings. I was not embarrassed for the people who lack so much of the luxury that I have been fortunate to experience throughout my life. Instead, I was embarrassed for us, a group of wealthy Americans in sundresses with cameras in tow, coming to look at the town as if it was some spectacle. Yes, maybe to us this place was quite a sight to see. I am sorry to admit that I had my camera out taking pictures of the shacks and the stores along the road. But to the people of South Africa, this was their life. And here we were coming through to marvel at other’s misfortunes. It was a bit embarrassing and very uncomfortable. However, it was a learning experience, and that I am grateful for. Like many of the things that I have done in Africa thus far, today’s trip allowed me to build upon my increasing appreciation for the people that I have in my life and what they have done to make all that I have experience and achieved possible.
Once we got into the braai, itself, we were able to see what the fuss was all about. Let me tell you, Mzoli's did not disappoint. From the second we entered, we were bombarded by mounds of meat. There were steaks, sausages, chickens, and so much more that I could not even recognize. Much to my dismay, the food was not yet cooked and we had to place our order as we watched them grab at the pieces of raw meat. Then, we would take the plate piled with food to the back room where the cooks would place it on the oven. As we waited for the food, we went into the outside dining area, where the expression “utter chaos” would be considered a complete understatement. People filled the crowded area as they ate, drank, danced, and talked with one another. We stopped by a few of the vendors along the edges of the braai that were selling jewelry, sunglasses, hats, and all the usually things. Once time had passed, we got our food and sat down to feast on all of the meat that was finally in our possession. The day was extremely overwhelming, but all in all very fun and quite the experience. I hope to go back to Mzoli's in the future, as every Sunday is a fun day around there, and we sure wouldn’t want to miss out on a good time. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leigh. I think we all sometimes need a little perspective so that we're able to really appreciate what we have and with whom we share our lives. Your postings continue to teach us important lessons though we are miles and miles away. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete